Frosted Christmas Cookies
8 oz unsalted butter
8 oz unsalted margarine
1 1/2 cups of sugar
(optional) 1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Beat butter, margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy
2) Once blended, mix in eggs one at a time
3) Add in vanilla extract and if desired, almond extract
4) Blend in a separate bowl, then sift in flour, almond meal, baking soda and salt.
5) Chill, wrapped in plastic or parchment paper, for at least 2 hours
6) Roll out on a floured board to 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick.
7) Cut out and then bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
4 tablespoons meringue powder mixed with four tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces powdered sugar
1) Mix meringue powder and water, vanilla and powdered sugar with a hand or stand mixer until combined.
2) Mix in as much milk of your choice to achieve your desired consistency.
Glazed Orange Cake
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Zest of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 oranges
2 cups of self-rising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 325. Butter a 8-inch cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper
2) Melt 8 tablespoons unsalted butter and set aside to cool
3) Zest and juice, 2 oranges
4) Sift together self-rising flour and baking powder
5) Mix together eggs, melted, cooled butter, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and the juice and zest of one orange
6) Mix until just combined the dry and wet ingredients
7) Pour into your cake pan and bake for 12-16 minutes until a tester comes out clean
For the glaze
1) Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with the zest and juice of 1 orange until blended
2) Poke holes in your cooled cake, then pour the glaze over slowly so it absorbs
Chocolate Cranberry Gift Cookies
2 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup vegetable oil
Extra sugar (about ½ cup)
1)Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, including cranberries and chocolate chips. These can be stored in a jar with the remaining required ingredients written on for a gift, or can be made by you!
3) Add vanilla, eggs and oil to the dry mix and mix until fully combined. Dough will be crumbly.
4) Add extra sugar to a small, shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1 ½ inch balls and roll in sugar until completely covered.
5) Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10 minutes, until the bottoms have browned. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before serving.
Reese Family Biscotti
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
3½ cups flour
1 teas. Baking powder
1 teas. Salt
1 bag of chocolate chips
8 oz. of toffee bits
1) Beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until light in color.
2) Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips and toffee bits.
3) Refrigerate for 2 hours.
4) Heat oven to 350º.
5) Divide dough into 4 8×3 inch logs on ungreased sheet.
6) Bake until brown (25 minutes)
7) Reduce oven temperature to 300º.
8) Cut logs — perpendicularly into inch long slices.
9) Bake for 20 more minutes.
Holiday berry compote recipe
3 cups of fresh or frozen berries (blackberries or blueberries recommended)
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1) In a small pot heat berries over medium flame until they become soft and begin to fall apart.
2) Add sugar and stir until incorporated. 3) Turn off heat and add cornstarch, lemon juice and zest. Mix until combined.